Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Cricket - Yet Another Religion of India

Cricket has become YAR of India like Hinduism, Muslim, Christianity etc. People pray the cricketers as GODs. With India's early exit from the World Cup 2007, hope things may get changed after this. India's F1 racer, Narayan karthkeyan, on his speech @ IITM answers for a question says 'cricket has become religion in India. even though they crib them now, if they win a tournament again it is going to be settle down'. He also says cricket has brought everything with it in advertising. Yes this is correct. If the team India wins a trophy in the coming tournaments, people will again start praying them. This is common for cricket fans, even the cricket players themselves don't care about the early exit from the CUP 2007.

Let me share my personal views on this. I am playing cricket from my 6th standard. I represented my school, my college and to my hostel here as well at IIT Madras. There was a match between CSE and ECE for the college annual day function in B.Tech. What happened was we have lost that final match to ECE. This was because, we didn't play well and things have gone bad in every aspect of it. Then I decided not to play cricket ever in my life. But then, as I said (?) human tendency is different. So, I started playing cricket even at IITM. Hmmm and the worst part is here......... I played for Cauvery Hostel in 2005 as well as 2006, both of them we lost. Third time in 2007 (I was off to Mumbai), again lost to the B.Tech guys. In spite of all these defeats, as a player (or a fan) one would think not to play (watch) again cricket. It is impossible.......................................

So what I am trying to say, in spite of the early exit from the world cup.....people still adore the team after couple of months again........... that's the funny part of this life.......................

No comments: