Monday, February 23, 2009

Exploitation to the extent possible

I saw it and I heard about it and the much hype around this. It is "Slum*** Millionaire" movie. I cant call my self as a ***. I don't want even other to call me as ***. You know what I meant.

This movie exploited India to the extent possible. I didn't read the novel "Q&A" on which the movie was based. I am getting pieces of information from the sources and now I cant stop myself anymore writing this post on this movie. It reached to peak, when I heard its success at Oscars, which bagged 8 awards in different category including best picture. I would argue that the movie bagged this award because of its title.

To my luck, some one wrote an article about this movie in rediff and the way it is written reflects my feelings as well. Here is the link to the article. Some excerpts from the article that reflected my feelings are:

  • "...Having read the novel and seen the film, I cannot say that it has done more good than harm to India. This is not a matter of my wanting to shove the reality under the carpet. Vikas Swarup, or any other diplomat, cannot lie abroad for his country anymore."
  • "...The question is whether India is a boom or a bubble. It seeks to reassure the world, as Jamal says to an American tourist couple, when he rolls on the ground after a brutal beating by the police, 'You want to see the real India? Here it is!'
  • "...a boy from the slums in celebration of his keen eye and keener brain. Even the word 'slumdog' was not his creation. He found a clever story line and wrote a readable novel, though replete with horrible scenes and unpalatable descriptions of his country."
  • ".. Even the questions in the book are different from those in the movie. So are the events that helped Jamal (not Ram Mohammad Thomas) to win his millions. Vikas Swarup, the Indian diplomat, became a willing instrument in the hands of his exploiters. 'I am not a millionaire as yet,' lamented Swarup in an interview!"
  • "..Consider a question that Jamal could not answer. The quiz master asks what is written below the Ashoka lions on the Indian national crest. Is it truth alone triumphs or lies alone triumph? You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that this is an insult, particularly as Jamal does not seem to know the answer."
  • "..Many say that the film will do India proud if Rahman picks up three Oscars. In fact, the music is a redeeming feature of the movie. Even the redlight district scene comes to life with the melody of the anklets on dancing feet. But the celebrated song at the end of the movie sounds like a parody of the national anthem with the use of the phrase, Jai ho!"
  • "..It was not necessary to rake up the dirt in India to create a film to bring Oscars to India. India rejoiced at the Gandhi Oscars, but Slumdog Oscars, if any, will only highlight how India became a victim of exploitation."
I think the above facts are good enough to show how much our country has been insulted in the hands of an foreign director joining hands with the Indians.

**** them from exploiting India in this way.

P.S: All the above bulleted items are excerpts from the link provided.

No comments: